Wednesday, February 9, 2011

assignment #1 Culture Shock

Hi everyone, we just have our first assignment here. I am an international student from Hong Kong, I have been studying in U.S for few years. There are so many different between my culture and American culture. Maybe for some other countries they use 4 for their lucky number, but 4 is an unlucky number is my culture. We don’t have 4th floor and 14th floor in buildings, specially for 14, number 1 is stand for letter I and number 4 is mean death, if put together in my language is means “ I want to die”.  People don’t think it is fortunate so there is no 4th and 14th floor in the buildings in Hong Kong.  In U.S people think green is a very popular color, sometimes people will were green hat. Green is also a nice color is Hong Kong, but nobody will wear a green hat. Because in my culture, people who wear a green hat is not a good thing and it is not fashion.  People wear green hat is kind of slang for some man who don’t have a good wife, if someone’s wife have sex with other man we will call that man wear a green hat. So nobody will wear a green hat and walk out street, people will laugh at him without any reason. In my own experience, some of my friends told me Friday is unlucky especially with day 13th. This day make some people refuse to fly or by house or even they have 100% to win the stock purchase. But in my culture, we don’t have this believe, and we all think Friday is a perfect day for students or workers. Because weekend is coming, so it will not influence us to stop doing something.

2 comments:

  1. That's very interesting. The green hat being a symbol of his wife's infidelity is pretty humorous, i will have to keep an eye out.

    The idea of 13 being unlucky in american standards or the 4th and 14th floor being bad are a little too superstitious for me. Not to say i wont feel uncomfortable, but i prefer the idea that friday is awesome because it is the end of a school week too, even if its the 13th. as they say T.G.I.F. (thank god its friday).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Elliot, what you described about men wearing green hats is pretty humorous! Never heard of that one before :)

    In Sweden if a woman wore a red dress to a wedding, it meant that she had slept with the groom. People don't really pay any attention to this anymore though. It is just interesting how colors symbolize different meanings across cultures!

    ReplyDelete